Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The 2021 Teletrac Navman Driving Change Diversity Program showcases diversity champions to the trucking industry and wider community through program participant stories, diversity training and a marketing campaign, promoting positive perception of industry and...
The Transport and Logistics Training Package (Release 8.0) has been endorsed by Skills Ministers for implementation. The Transport and Logistics and Rail Industry Reference Committees, with support from Technical Advisory Committees, have developed new occupational...
The Road Freight Resilience Program is designed by the Queensland Trucking Association to support current workforce development needs by offering transport and logistics businesses a range of short online courses (microcredentials) focussing on improving safety,...