Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
Women in Trucking Australia Ltd (WiTA) is celebrating International Women's Day on March 8, by awarding their first Trailblazer Driver of the Year and Driver of the Year awards on the day. WiTA says that the Trailblazer category is reserved for women who no longer...
Feedback closing Monday 8 March 2021. The Technical Advisory Committees (TACs) for the Supply Chain Operations - Certificates I and IV and Driving Operations projects have drafted materials and would like your feedback. Supply Chain Operations - Certificates I and IV...
Strategix is currently offering fee free training of a Logistics Skill Set funded under the JobTrainer scheme. The Skill Set is designed for Warehouse and Logistics staff who are already working in the industry and provides an opportunity for participants to upgrade...