Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
As a direct result of the 2019 Skills Forecasts & Proposed Schedule of Work submitted by the Industry Reference Committees (IRCs) Australian Industry Standards (AIS) supports, the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) has approved the transport and...
The Women in Industry Awards 2019 was held on Thursday 6 June 2019 in Melbourne.Congratulations to all the winners, in particular to Sondra Kremerskothen - Group Manager Training, Linfox, who won the Excellence in Road Transport award. This category recognises...
Gladstone Ports Corporation (GPC) has opened applications for it's highly successful Apprenticeship & Traineeship Program.After celebrating record tonnages through its three port precincts in Gladstone, Rockhampton and Bundaberg, GPC is offering new...