Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The ACCC has released its annual Container Stevedoring Monitoring Report 2018-19, which examines the performance of stevedores operating at Australia’s ports during the last financial year. Among the key findings of the report: A general weakening of the economy has...
ALC Forum 2020 is one of Australia's most significant annual supply chain industry events and will put the focus on this flourishing economic region that is already home to one in ten Australians - and is set to attract another half a million residents by 2031. The...
The Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) is updating its National Industry Insight Reports. These reports present skills, training, employment and labour market information and data. The Transport industry plays a key role in enabling Australia’s economic...