Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
Closing Monday 19 July 2021. The Transport and Logistics Industry Reference Committee (IRC) is looking for subject matter experts to form Technical Advisory Committees (TACs) for three new projects which have now commenced. Your industry expertise and insight is...
Four Points of Contact is a study and education campaign for new heavy vehicle drivers that Shift Training has successfully received funding for as part of the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator’s Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative. The program will provide a short course...
Closing Friday, 18 June 2021. The Bruce Highway Trust Advisory Council and the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) are seeking your views on issues and priorities for the Bruce Highway, which connects the 1,677km length from Brisbane to Cairns along the...