Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The Cummins TMC Scholarship is an initiative that provides heavy vehicle apprentices with the experience and tools needed to develop industry knowledge and skills. The scholarship is awarded to three heavy vehicle industry apprentices and provides the opportunity to...
Teletrac Navman have released a whitepaper for the Driving Change - Women in Transport campaign. Technology has changed the way workers perform their roles in the transport and logistics industry and we are seeing more women employed than ever. This campaign...
Work has commenced on the Fuel Storage Dangerous Goods Contractor Project and the Logistics and Warehousing Operations Project. The Transport and Logistics Industry Reference Committee is forming Technical Advisory Committees (TAC) for these projects and...