Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
On 20 August 2021, the National Cabinet announced updates to the Freight Movement Code and Protocol with streamlined measures and a more consistent approach to assist with the efficient movement of goods around Australia. The new testing regime requires freight...
Closing Monday 30 August 2021. The Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for the TLI Crane High Risk Work Licence Project has considered all stakeholder feedback and revised nine draft Units of Competency. At the request of Safe Work Australia, the units have been...
Closing Tuesday 10 August 2021. The Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for the TLI Crane High Risk Work Licence Project has released draft training materials and is requesting stakeholder feedback. At the request of Safe Work Australia, the units have been aligned to...