Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The Australian Trucking Association (ATA) has announced the finalists for the 2020 National Trucking Industry Awards, recognising businesses and individuals who have gone above and beyond the requirements of their role to improve their workplace and the industry. ...
NatRoad article - Point of delivery procedure guidelines during COVID-19: Members who have undertaken risk assessments for COVID-19 have told us that the point of delivery is of concern. These guidelines assist with procedures that could be followed to reduce risk at...
Queensland Trucking Association update - 1/4/2020 Truck stop access -Standards and protocols