Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The National Cabinet has agreed on a new Domestic Border Control Freight Movement Protocol, also endorsed by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee. It has been developed to keep freight moving around Australia while minimising risks to workers and the...
The 2020 Australian Freight Industry Awards, will be going ahead this year in a Virtual format, complete with an awards ceremony and entertainment. The event will be live-streamed on SUNDAY 20TH SEPTEMBER from 7.30-8.45PM. Nominations are now open for the following...
As a result of COVID-19, a large number of workers require skills to decrease transmission of infection while undertaking their daily duties. A new Infection Control Skill Set has been developed and customised to suit those working in the Transport and Logistics...