Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
Closing 12 March 2021. The National Transport Commission is seeking feedback on a proposal to increase heavy vehicle charges. Last month, the Infrastructure and Transport Ministers Meeting (ITMM) agreed on a proposal to increase heavy vehicle charges by 2.5 per cent...
The draft Case for Endorsement and training package materials for the Transport & Logistics Training Package (Release 8.0) were submitted to the Australian Industry & Skills Committee (AISC) in October 2020. At its meeting on 2 December 2020, the AISC approved...
Isuzu Australia Limited have released their report The Future of Trucking - The Road Ahead. The report is the largest truck industry research of its kind ever conducted in Australia – with over 1,000 road transport decision-makers hailing from multiple industries,...