Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The Heavy Vehicle Transport Industry: Chain of Responsibility Survey aims to identify whether or not the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) and Compliance & Enforcement (C&E) legislation is having effective impacts on organisational and driving behaviours...
Freight & Trade Alliance (FTA), Container Transport Alliance Australia (CTAA), and the Australian Peak Shippers Association (APSA), have partnered with the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) to create the Safe Container Loading Practices & Heavy Vehicle...
Registrations close Wednesday 30 September 2020. Work has commenced on the projects below and the Transport & Logistics Industry Reference Committee is looking for subject matter experts to form a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for each project. TLI Driving...