Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
Latest Road Freight News
On 30 March 2020, the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) and the National Cabinet approved an exemption for roadhouses, dedicated truck stop facilities and truck driver lounges to remain open so Australia’s heavy vehicle drivers have access to...
A recent article in Fully Loaded highlights the difficulties truck drivers are experiencing finding rest stops, shower and toilet facilities. Read the full article here. There are Facebook groups with information on open facilities: Truck drivers food & showers...
AISC approve Transport and Logistics Training Package release 6.0 and Cross Sector Supply Chain Skills
At its meeting on Tuesday 25 February 2020, the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) approved the Transport and Logistics Training Package Release 6.0 for referral to the COAG Skills Council for endorsement. The training package included material for :...