Road Freight Sector
- Queensland’s freight task is rising rapidly with an 89% increase predicted by 2026 (TMR, 2016).
- The road freight industry generated approximately $3.2 billion in revenue in the same year (IBISWorld, 2015).
- The freight network comprises of 13, 600 km of road (TMR, 2016).
- 149, 381 people employed within the road freight sector in Australia (IBISWorld, 2016).
- Road freight in Australia specialises in delivering time-sensitive / perishable commodities such fresh fruit and groceries, consumer goods and construction material. Road competes with rail in moving bulk commodities over longer distances (NTC, 2016).
COVID-19: Transport industry updates
- Read about the Queensland Government’s relief package to support transport operators including regional air, bus, ferry, heavy vehicle and personalised transport services.
- Read about Queensland state border access restrictions, including how to apply for an entry pass. Read the Chief Health Officer directive on border closures for more information.
- View information on changes to transport and motoring services.
- Stay up to date with the road network conditions.
- Find workplace resources for the road freight industry from Safe Work Australia.
- Read about the Infection Control Training Fund available to support the re-opening of customer-facing businesses, including transport and logistics.
Latest Road Freight News
The Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Skills Council has endorsed the Transport & Logistics Training Package (Release 6.0) for implementation. The approved training package is now available on training.gov.au. The following materials were approved:...
Comments to be submitted by 25 October 2020. The National Transport Commission (NTC) has released the HVNL review consultation regulation impact statement (RIS) which includes over 40 reform options to improve the Heavy Vehicle National Law. The structure of each...
Feedback closes Monday 13 July 2020. The Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for the TLI Logistics and Warehousing Operations Project, has finalised draft materials for the proposed Certificate II in Supply Chain Operations Qualification and would like your feedback. ...