- The Maritime industry in Australia has an estimated annual revenue of $9.3 billion, adding $3.7 billion to the Australian economy in 2015-16 (Australian Industry Standards, 2016).
- Australia is currently the world’s 5th largest shipping nation in terms of the tonnage of its inbound and outbound freight task.
- 10 per cent of the world’s sea trade passes through Australian ports and 99 per cent of Australian trade is transported by sea.
- Our coastline is over 60,000 kilometres in length and our search and rescue region covers more than 10 per cent of the earth’s surface.
- Per capita, Australia has more cruise passengers than any other nation, making it the fourth-largest cruise market in the world.
Latest Maritime Industry News
The Maritime Industry Reference Committee is seeking feedback in regards to the below cases for change within the MAR Maritime Training Package. 1. MAR Electro-technical Officer Units of Competency and Qualification A Case for Change has been developed by the Maritime...read more
The Maritime Industry Reference Committee (IRC) invites stakeholders to provide feedback to inform the development of the 2018 Maritime IRC Skills Forecast. Feedback can be provided by clicking here. The opportunity to have input into the 2018 IRC Skills Forecast...read more
Latest news from Shipping Australia: Sydney's maritime strikes will increase the cost of Christmasread more